Friday, April 10, 2020

Friday check-in: batch cutting, fabric organization, and a few completed projects

Life has been distracting me for the past few weeks. I know you are all in the same situation! I am keeping calm by spending a few minutes in the sewing room whenever I get a chance, so there are a lot of updates since my last Friday check-in. I completed both pairs of jeans I've been working on for so long and even took some pictures. A few weeks ago I did some batch cutting and got 4 garments cut out--a navy sweater, a khaki skirt, a plaid flannel shirt, and an acrylic blanket coatigan.


I also finished the blanket coatigan I cut out using Lisette for Butterick 6244; it was a quick but satisfying sew, which I also hope to share in the next week!

The pattern
The fabric
Last week was the boys' spring break, so I spend the week home with them (I still have to go in to work as I am in the medical field). We did a lot of organizing, and I finished my fabric purge/organize/catalog task! I donated a total of 50 yards of fabric and now have about 290 yards in the collection (not counting fat quarters and remnants/scraps). HOLY COW! SO MUCH FABRIC! I was able to empty out a small hall closet that was full of fabric and craft supplies, so now everything is contained in the craft room and a 2nd small hall closet.

The armoire (my dad made!) with shelves...

...and drawers full of fabric

More fabric stored under the cutting table

The closet holds clothes to mend or fit, lining fabric,
and miscellaneous fabrics that are hard to store folded

A few other little projects:

I patched a lot of knees to get the boys' pants through the rest of spring

A made a bench of scrap lumber for lifting weights at home, so I make a cushioned cover 

My mom and I have been sewing fabric masks, both for our family and for community members. Don't worry--my mom lives with us, so we are complying with social distancing!

All in all, a pretty productive month since my last update! As I said, I hope to share my finished garments from the last month with you soon. I recently bought some fabric from Style Maker Fabrics for spring garments I have planned, including a gray denim legging knit and a pink rayon batiste lining. I also bought a lovely hardware kit for a cross-body purse I want to make with some fabric remnants.



That's it for now. Until next time, happy sewing and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment