Sunday, June 14, 2020

Pattern review: Lisette for Butterick 6244


This pattern (Lisette for Butterick 6244) was a pleasure to sew! The fabric behaved, there were few seams, and the seam finishes and the fit are very nice.

Pattern Description: The Oliver + S website description is spot-on: "Semi-fitted unlined coat with shawl collar has only three pattern pieces. The cascading front gives an elegant line, and the jacket is finished with flat-felled seams to give an elegant finish with minimal effort. This is a great piece for a beautiful wool coating or a double-faced wool. The fully lined dress is fitted through the bodice and includes piecing at the shoulders and sides for a contrast or coordinating fabric. The dress is finished with an invisible zipper." I only sewed the coat--perhaps I will try the dress another time using mixed materials (a good way to use up some remnants).


Pattern Sizing: I am 5'7" and my measurements are bust 31", waist 27.5", hips 33". I started with size 8, and made a 1/2" wide shoulder adjustment on each size". No other fitting adjustments.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Very similar except for design changes as noted below, which resulted in a more angled bottom corner.


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes! I thought the diagrams were especially helpful for the tricky point where the front bust dart and collar extension meet the back.



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Love the finished product! There's nothing I found off-putting.

Fabric Used: 100% acrylic fabric from JoAnn Fabrics (here's a link). This was easy to press and manipulate, but tended to unravel quickly. I finished the shoulder seams with a 3-thread overlocked stitch; the rest of the seams were flat-felled.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I ignored the grainline marked on the pattern front and cut the fronts so the center edge aligned with the beautiful selvage. I was also able to sew a length of selvage onto the collar, so that design element carried through.


I shortened the jacket by about 7" and changed the hemline to align with the fabric design. The bottom and sleeves were finished with a narrow hem.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? It's a very unique design. I will sew it again in the future, but probably not soon. I would definitely recommend it to others!



Conclusion: It's cozy, but doesn't make me overheat--it was perfect for spring in Minnesota! I am very pleased with the pattern and the finished product.

That's it for now. Until next time, happy sewing and stay safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment